THE TROUT TRAIL - DAY TRIP
Wondering if riding the “Death Road” is too dangerous for you? Or perhaps you simply enjoy mountain biking through outrageously beautiful settings without deadly risks or the hassle of sharing a road with large groups of riders?
On our ‘Trout Trail’, cycle down an abandoned dirt road, view beautiful waterfalls, take your time for stunning photos and enjoy a day of downhill adrenaline with no vehicles or other riders to ruin the incredibly beautiful landscape with snowcapped mountains, deep canyons, impressive cliff faces, crystal-clear streams, fertile valleys and traditional villages all along.
THIS RIDE IS ONLY APPROPRIATE AND ‘IDEAL’ FOR YOU IF YOU HAVE AT LEAST ‘SOME’ EXPERIENCE RIDING OFF ROAD THROUGH DIRT TRACKS/TRAILS AND ARE COMFORTABLE RIDING A BIKE DOWNHILL ON RUGGED TERRAIN (NO STEEP CLIFFS OR ‘DEATH ROADS’ BUT MANY STEEP, RUGGED AND NARROW TRAILS).
From Andes snow-capped mountains down to crystal-clear streams among lush landscapes, this ride will blow you away. Begin in La Paz, at over 3.600m (11.800 ft) and drive toward the top of the Andes at nearly 5.000m! (16.000 ft!).
You’re on top of the world; clouds flying so close you can practically touch them, with crisp cold air blowing and impressive views of the mountains and the valley below.
The excitement begins. We get armored with full-face helmets, elbow and knee guards as well as warm clothing to begin our descent through deserted trails and roads that haven’t been used since the 1950’s. Here, you won’t find crowded venues like the paved road across the valley through which hundreds of riders are competing with each other (and with massive trucks/lorries) for some space on the crowded road en route to the ‘death road’.
Not us. We are surrounded by some of the best scenery on the planet and no other vehicles or riders to ruin our moment. Snow-melt streams, sheep peacefully grazing, green moorlands, an old unmaintained road, old train tracks that were never used and amazing off road downhill mountain biking trails just for ourselves. This is way safer and more fun than riding on the ‘death road’.
We finish our ride in the lush Valley of Los Yungas. NO needlessly dangerous roads with 600-meter drops, just sheer beauty and solitude. No experience of this kind can be complete without a local complement. We will visit a small and quaint village where TROUT is hatched and enjoy the local specialty for lunch!
We then drive back to La Paz to be back late afternoon. What an amazing day, right in the doorstep of the city, mere minutes away! Book your ride before people flock to this still undiscovered piece of Bolivian mountain biking treasure if have a spare day to enjoy just out of La Paz!
- Full suspension mountain bike
- Safety equipment (full-face helmet, elbow and knee guards, jacket and gloves)
- Snacks and water
- Transportation from your ho(s)tel and back to downtown La Paz
- Fully qualified English/Spanish speaking guide
What’s NOT included:
- Alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages
- Tips and other extras
Length: Day Trip
Suitable for: Experienced riders comfortable going downhill on rugged terrain (no need to be professionals)
Experience required: Yes
Group size: Min 2 / Max 10
Booking: Online or in-office (min 48 hrs. in advance strongly suggested)
- As stated before, this is a ride not anyone can do. You do need to have basic-intermediate riding skills, being able to ride a bike confidently through rugged, downhill terrain.
- The complete absence of vehicles and lots of other cyclists on this road, makes it a lot safer than the neighboring “death road”. The biggest challenge is negotiating the dirt track we ride on.
- The track is NO longer maintained, so you will need to carry or push your bike through small patches of road. You need to expect a bumpy ride.
- The whole ride is downhill except for one or two flat hills
- If you have ALREADY done the ‘death road’ ride, you will recognize that this ride takes place on the road across the valley from the paved road you took (or will take if you still plan to do the ‘death road’)
- DO BRING: sport shoes, sunglasses, good sunscreen, a good windbreaker and/or fleece, extra socks
WHY DO THIS TOUR WITH US
- It is a great alternative to the “death road” if you would not like to ride next to dangerous 500-1000 meter drops
- 9.9 out of 10 times you will not see another soul on this road, as opposed to the hundreds that ride the “death road” every day
- You get to take your time to take photos, enjoy the scenery, go as fast as you like, relax by the river and be back in La Paz in a shorter time than when doing the “death road” as the drive is shorter
- We have professional guides and high-end full suspension mountain bikes as well as proper safety equipment including: full-face helmet, gloves, elbow and knee guards, jacket and pants
- As with all of our offers, this tour is operated by our company and not a third party
MAYHEM ADVENTURES in coordination with ZURICH BOLIVIA (insurance providers) offers its clientele insurance if required by our customers. Please enquire if you require insurance. You will not be allowed to ride if you are not able to show proof of appropriate travel insurance.